Can a company in Canada refuse to be served summons papers via an overnight delivery service?

If they do refuse to be served, what can I do?

Asked on August 1, 2014 under Personal Injury, Montana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the Canadian company is doing business in your state, it should have an agent for service of process in every state in which it is doing business.  Check with the Montana Secretary of State's office for  the name and address of the agent for service of process.  You can serve your documents on the agent for service of process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.