Can a company charge back money paid for account bonuses if its not classified as commission?

We get paid if we hit a certain of sales per week. Its classified as bonus and
not commission since they legally cant give commission to certain license
holders. Now they are starting to charge us back for bonus paid on policies that
cancelled within 90 days of binding. Is this allowed? I was under the
impression you can only charge back commission earned and not bonus for achieved

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Bonuses are not required: employers freely choose whether, when, and under what conditions to pay them. This means that they can make it a term or condition of the bonus that it can be charged back under certain circumstances. They can only do this for bonuses earned from when they provide notice of the new rule: i.e. if the announced the change effective June 1, it only applies to bonuses earned for sales, etc. made from June 1 on, but would not apply to sales made May 30th and earlier. Those earlier sales would be governed by the bonus terms and conditions applying at the time they were made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.