What are my rights ifa check for unpaid parking tickets bounced?

My son got towed last year for unpaid parking tickets; it was at a college that he does not attend. My ex-husband decided to write a check for the amount of the ticket. I never knew that the check bounced because I am no longer with my husband. My son got towed again last week because they stated that the check was not paid. The college is now trying to make me pay $5 a day, plus the $714 in order to get the car back. If it is not paid in 30 days ($3200), they will dispose of the car. Is this legal?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under General Practice, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of many states and municipalities, if a vehicle gets towed and the fee is not paid promptly, the ticket and tow fee remain the same but the storage fees continue on a day to day basis until paid in full.

Under state statute as well as local regulations if the accumulated fees for an impounded care are not paid in a timely manner, the vehicle that is impounded can be sold at auction to pay off the ticket, tow and storage fees.

Such procedures for an auction is legal.

I suggest you manage to find a way to pay off the accrued charges so you can get your vehicle back.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.