What to do about roof repairs disclosedin an inspection report?

Found a house, put in an offer, offer accepted, and did the home inspection. There were some recommended repairs that were suggested. The seller had agreed to pay a certain amount for the repairs and it was in the initial offer that we signed. Now the inspector wrote in the report that there is possible hail damage on the roof. Whose responsibility is it to get the roof checked? Is is my responsibility to get my future insurance adjuster come in and check if the roof is insurable or is it the seller’s?

Asked on November 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have not closed escrow on the property that you wish to buy, it is your duty to have the roof inspected by a licensed roofer to ascertain the degree of hail damage that may or may not be present upon it. If you choose not to have a further inspection on the roof that is your perogative.

Based upon what the licensed roofer states in the inspection report of the roof you could make a subsequent demand for repairs to the roof or a reduction in the property's purchase price to the seller.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.