What are my rights if I have been forced from my rental due to mold and health issues?

I am almost 6 months pregnant and I have a 6 year that has asthma. I believe there is mold growing in my bathroom and my apartment has a musty smell. I contacted my landlord and she was rude and didn’t seem to care about it; she told me it was fine. My doctor does not want me staying there and I haven’t been but I have been paying rent. What do I do?

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to terminate your lease based on the presence of mold in your rental unit. If the condition is severe enough you may be able to claim what is called "constructive eviction". If there is mold that has caused you health issues to the point that you had to move out, you might well be able to terminate your lease (an obtain a refund of your security deposit) and have a legal claim for any costs you incur as a result (such a motel, etc.). Additionally, there is the potential for you to recover your attorney's fees, if any.  Any documentation that you may have will add to the strength of your claim (e.g. your doctor's note, photos, health department inspection, etc). However, a high standard of proof is required for making a case for constructive eviction.

In the alternative, you can claim that there has been a breach of the "warranty of habitability". This is essentially a guarantee that is implied in every residential lease. Accordingly, a tenant must be given a safe and sanitary premises in which to live. You have several options regarding such a breach. You can: terminate your lease (and get the return of security deposit); withhold rent until the repair is made; or make the repair yourself and the deduct the cost from your rent. The presence of mold would qualify as such a breach. Again proof is key (although there is a somewhat lesser standard required the for constructive eviction).

At this point, you need to consult directly with an attorney in your area. Speak with one who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. At the very least, contact a tenants' right advocacy group. If you attempt any of the above remedies you must be certain of your rights under applicable state law. The consequences of wrongfully using self-help measures could cost you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.