Breach of contract payment

I was in a theatrical production, for which I signed a contract stating that I would be paid on March 29th, 2017. Since that date fellow performers and myself have called, emailed and texted the company we worked for, and didn’t receive a response until yesterday. In the email response, there was not a date provided for when the funds would be available, citing ‘cash flow issues’. What should be my next steps in terms of pursuing legal action, if I have the ability to?

Asked on April 11, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the company for breach of contract / account stated because the company failed to pay on Mar. 29, 2017 as the contract required.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed.
Depending on the amount of compensation you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit, you might be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court.  Upon prevailing in the case, you can recover the amount you are owed and court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.