What to do about harassment by a creditor?

I need to know where to find comprehensive information on TCPA in VA. I receive at least 8 calls a day from Sallie Mae on my cellular phone and on my mother’s residential phone. I know that Sallie Mae has been sued for such practices and want to know if my case renders a possible suit orofficial complaint on file.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country as well as federal law, there are statutes prohibiting unfair debt collection practices. Whether or not the telehone calls you receive fall within an unfair debt collection practice is hard to tell from the limited information provided within the facts of your question.

The best way to start your preliminary investigation as to whether the calls by "Fannie Mae" constitute an unfair debt collection practice is to run a google search as to what constitutes such such a practice under Virginia law as well as under the federal statute on the subject. Your search might also pull up the situations where "Fannie Mae" was previously sued for similar conduct and what the result was.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.