How do I file a garnishment on a self-employed person?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file a garnishment on a self-employed person?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a judgment against a person who is self employed, you simply complete a writ of execution, memeorandum of garnishment, notice of levy and a memorandum of costs post judgment and send to the court for filing and issuance.

Once returned, have a process server serve them upon the judgment debtor.

You might consider recording an abstract of judgment against the judgment debtor to lien any properties that he or she might have.

Another option is to levy upon the judgment debtor's bank accounts in pretty much the same manner as you would do a wage garnishment. Most likely there are online judicial council forms from the state you are in that you can use for your collection purposes on the judgment.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption