What to do if at a wedding in a private home, I fell while carrying hot coffee and recevied 1st and 2nd degree burns?

The reception was buffet style set up inside the house. Guests had to traverse stairs to get into the house and then traverse a high step exiting the house. I was in the kitchen getting my husband and I coffee and pastries. Coffee was so hot I had to “double cup” just to hold them and the cups had lids on. As I exited the kitchen area to the deck, I fell onto the deck, falling on my right side. The coffee erupted burning my arm. My husband took me to the emergency room for treatment. In addition to burn treatment, I had X-rays taken of my arm. I want the homeowners to pay my out-of-pocket expenses. How do I proceed?

Asked on June 3, 2012 under Personal Injury, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Solely as to your burns, you can ask the homeowner if they have Homeowners insurance and if thaeir policy has med-pay coverage. The med-pay coverage is not based on any negligence but merely the fact that you suffered an accident on their property.So long as you have a hospital or other medical bills, you'd be entitled to the med-pay coverage. The Homeowner must report the accident and get you a claim number. If you can prove negligence by the Homeowners with respect to the height or other condition of the step, it is possible to get money for your injury and "pain and suffering". You'd need a lawyer for that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.