Is an attorney legally required to file a satisfaction of judgement once it is paid?

UPDATED: May 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is an attorney legally required to file a satisfaction of judgement once it is paid?

I have a past judgment appearing as open even though it was paid in 2007. I have the documentation and had to contact the original creditor to even get the attorney’s collection department to issue one. I received a copy in the mail nearly a month ago but the court still hasn’t received anything. I do not think that it’s fair for this to still show on my credit report and feel the collection manager is giving me the run around. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on May 24, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You have a few ways to file recourse. Keep in mind, however, that you have an obligation legally to mitigate your own damages, which means this should have been handled in 2007. The two courses are 1) sue the lawyer and 2) file a dispute with the credit reporting agency. The first is not recommended in this situation because the lawyer did not represent you and it should have been handled in 2007. The latter approach is the better approach. You simply call up your credit reports by ordering them online (you get 1 free a year from each agency) and then dispute it online. In the commments, explain you have proof of payment and all the communications you have had. That may help. Do the same thing with the court. File all the documentation yourself to show the debt has been satisfied.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption