What constitues harrassment and criminal trespass?

Ex-landlord came to my new home. He claims I owe past due rent which I am disputing because I don’t owe it. I asked him to leave and not come back. However, he has since returned 3 times in the span of one week, each time being told he is not welcome and that I am disputing the debt. He told me he will return. Is this considered criminal trespass? Are there any debt collections laws being broken? Do I have legal recourse?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The debt dispute that you have written about really is not one of a trespass by your landlord onto the premises he owns simply because he is the owner and has a privilege to come onto the premises to seek money owed.

However, from what you have written the conduct that you have written with respect to your landlord could be deemed harassment over the rental dispute.

I see no debt collection laws being broken for the simple fact that your landlord is not a debt collection company. I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney about a cease and desist letter to your landlord and possibly a restraining letter if the bad behavior continues against you.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.