Am i responsible to pay for repairs to a

I recently rented a bounce house which looked new. However, after the children’s birthday party. I got on to the bounce house and noticed there is a small cut in the liner on the bounce house. Once the owner of the bounce house showed up, I pointed out the cut to him. I can’t prove if it happened before or while it was at the party. Neither one of us made walk-through inspection once the bounce house was set up. Now he is demanding me to pay for repairs

instead of claiming it on his insurance. No paperwork was ever signed and no discussion of

liability. However, I did pay for the rented bounce house.

Asked on April 12, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Someone is not required to claim on insurance; he can instead seek compensation from a person whom he believes is responsible for causing the damage. The issue then, is whether you (or the children at your party, for whose actions you were responsible) caused the damage and whether that can be proven. If you and he cannot work matters out between you, he has the right to file a lawsuit; if he can, such as by the testimony of himself and/or his staff (if any), convince the court that there was no damage before you took delivery of the house, but there was a rip or cut after, he could therefore convince the judge that you were responsible and get a money judgment in his favor. It will come down basically to how credible or believeable are he and his witnesses vs. you and any other witnesses of yorus, if you dispute causing the damage.
If he can convince the court you caused the damage, he can potentially get the actual reasonable cost to repair.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.