Am I responsible for a dental bill over 4 years old that I never agreed to pay for?

Around 4 years ago an ex-girlfriend who worked at a dentist office agreed to pay for a procedure as a gift. All I had done was dental molds, then things went awry with us. She called months later saying I need to pay for the bill, I reminded her she was the one that took responsibility for it. I just received a letter from the office saying I have a balance of nearly $800 and that if need be I should contact my ex. Am I responsible for this debt when I never agreed to pay for it in any way, verbally or otherwise?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you had a dental procedure done for you and you never paid for it, you are obligated to pay the outstanding bill even though your former girlfriend agreed to pay for the procedure for you as a gift.

If the obligation is solely an obligation (outstanding bill) that is four years old and no lawsuit has been brought against you for the debt, then there is a good chance that the obligation may be barred by the statute of limitations if the dentist office was to file a lawsuit against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.