Can an employer required meto turn over relative’s personal information if I use that relative’svehicle for work-related purposes?

I pick up the bulk mail for my employer using my grandmother’s SUV every weekday andhave recently been required to give them her personal address, SSN, and a copy of her insurance card. I am confused at how an employer feels they have a right non-employee information as personal as this. I am on the insurance for this vehicle and have no infractions. The company does reimburse me for gas at .30 per mile. They do not pay for any other expenses. So can I seriously be required to turn over family information such as this?

Asked on December 13, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Here is what your employer is worried about: being sued if you get in to an accident while driving the SUV "during the course of your employment."  So they just want to know all they can about the vehicle and the insurance and the owner.  They want to know that there is sufficient coverge on the vehicle in case of an accident but t does not really matter 'cause any good lawyer is going to sue them anyway.  They would be the deep pocket.  I would speak with them again and I would strongly consider not using your personal car to run their errands. Otherwise you very well may have to give them the info. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.