Can a loan officer/ underwriter demand an ex-spouse’s bank statements?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a loan officer/ underwriter demand an ex-spouse’s bank statements?

I’m in the process of buying a home, my ex pay’s my car payment it’s in the divorce papers signed by a judge and the underwriter has the copy. Now they are demanding that I make contact with him to get his bank statements. That’s his personal information.

Asked on May 13, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can demand this. You have to remember, there is no right to or guaranty of getting a loan, and no requirement that any given lender make any given or particular loan. Lenders are free to turn down loans if they feel they are risky, and they are entitled to determine for themselves what information they require to fully evaluate the risk of a loan. So this lender can decide that it needs your ex's financials to decide whether to lend to you, and can refuse to lend if they don't receive it. While you are free to contact other lenders and see if any will lend to you without this information, you cannot force this lender to forego or give up on the information it clearly wants.
It is reasonable for the lender to want this information, by the way. It is YOUR car payment: you are legally responsible for it, and if your ex does not pay it for you, you will have to pay it--increasing your monthly expenses and possibly making it difficult or impossible to also pay your mortgage. While your ex was ordered to pay, that court order counts for nothing if he doesn't have the money to pay--court orders do not make money appear where there is none. Therefore, it is reasonable for the lender to make sure that you ex actually has the financial resources to pay, so that he does not stop paying forcing you to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption