Am I eligible for payment if my company has changed my resignation date?

I announced my planned resignation for 30 April 2019 to my company’s Board
of Directors via email letter. When the Board responded, they notified me that
the organization is closing the office I work in and laying off the other
employee to move operations to another country. The Board has said my last
day will be 30 March 2019. Am I entitled to any kind of severance i.e. paid-out
vacation days or payment because 1 my last day was changed, or 2 because
my job is being eliminated when the office is closed and operations are moved
overseas? Thank you

Asked on February 18, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

No, you would only be entitled to compensation or payment IF you had a written contract guarantying you a certain minimum amount of notice for the end of your employment, in which case, the employer would have to honor that contractually specified period. But in the absence of a contract to the contrary, an employer may terminate your employment at any time, for any reason; employment in this nation is "employment at will" except when there is a contract gurantying employment or a certain period of compensation. That being the case, your employer can move up the last day of your employment and does not owe you any compensation for doing so; they are not bound by the resignation notice you provided.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.