What can be done if our homeowner’s insurer is not honoring an insurance claim on our house’s roof?

Our house roof needs work. Our insurer is claiming that their adjuster is right and that everyone else 5 roofers that I have spoken with are wrong in saying that we need replacement. Therefore, it will not honor our policy, however I have written emails from their adjuster saying that there are bad shingles on the roof. Their estimate is that it can be fixed under $500, whereas the roofers are saying its around $20,000-25,000.

Asked on September 1, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you feel that under the terms of the policy (e.g. when they are supposed to pay) and the facts of the situation they should pay the claim, then your option is to sue the insurer for "breach of contract": for not honoring their contractual obligation (an insurance policy is a contract). To win, you would need to prove in court, by the language of the policy and expert testimony (e.g. you'd have to put some of the roofers on the witness stand) that this is a covered loss and the extent/cost of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.