What to do if a week ago I purchased a car at a dealer but now they want more money or I have to bring the car back?

Is this legal? I made my down payment, signed the contract and received my registration and plates.

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Business Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you have a contract that requires a certain price and you have honored those obligations, then they cannot come back and change the contract on their own.  If they made a mistake in the pricing, that is their problem, not your's.  It is okay for them to ask you to help them fix the problem, but they cannot force you to fix their error.  If they continue to harass you about the contract, contact a consumer law attorney to send them a simple demand letter to cease harassing you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.