A possible business opportunity, offering personal experinece before meeting w/ legal counsel.

I’m looking at offering assistance to folks to help them prepare for meeting with legal counsel to draw up their estate papers, wills, etc. to act as a ‘go between’. Is there a service that does this already?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Estate Planning, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Almost impossible to say whether it's *ever* been done or whether it's currently being done nowadays, but it's not something I've heard of. There are some real issues to consider:

1) Most importantly, if what you're doing at all gets into giving legal advice, you'd be guilty of practicing law without a license if you're not an attorney admitted to your jurisdiction.

2) Having a non-attorney in the loop (assuming you're a nonattorney) could destroy lawyer-client confidentiality.

3) Most legal services such as drawing up simpler wills or trusts are pretty affordable--how will you offer value to your clients while charging enough to make it worth your while?

4) You'd certainly have to get some sort of "malpractice" insurance (not sure what kind, if you're not a lawyer) to protect yourself in case something goes south and there's a claim.

5) Not sure a lawyer would work with a client if that client insisted on having an intermediary between them.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.