What are my rights if a I hit a man’s car with my bike and the court ordered that I pay his deductible but I want to send the money to is insurer and not to him directly?

He pressed charges and said it was my fault. The judge couldn’t place blame on either of us, so he ruled for me to pay the deducible for the damage to the car. The man has contacted me to collect but I only want to pay him if I send the check to his insurance company, and not him. He said he won’t allow that; he wants the check to him.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't have the right to only pay the insurer. If you were ordered to pay *him* you have to pay *him*--otherwise you will be in violation of the court's judgment/order and subject to punishment. By all means, be careful when you pay: send it some way you can prove delivery and make sure it gets to the right person; as soon as a check is cashed or clears, keep a record of that; etc. You're allowed to make sure that he doesn't somehow try to defraud you, such as  by claiming he was not paid when he was. (For that reason, *never* pay in cash.) But you do have to pay whomever the court ordered you to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.