What to do if I was in an auto accident driving a company vehicle on company business during company time?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was in an auto accident driving a company vehicle on company business during company time?

I was not at fault and didn’t receive a ticket. The other party retained a lawyer and is filing suit against the company I work for and their liability insurance. I no longer work for the company and I just received a letter from a different lawyer representing the injured party. The letter is requesting my liability coverage at the time of the accident. Should I forward this letter to my previous employer or directly to the insurance company representing my employer and myself? I don’t know what to do.

Asked on December 11, 2015 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to forward the letter to the insurance company that is representing you and your former employer.  The insurance company's attorney will handle the matter.  Since you were an employee when the accident occurred, the applicable insurance / liability coverage would be that of your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption