What to do about a family trust and community property?

A family living trust was created 8 years ago and contained all community property. Another trust was created 6 years later, after one of the parties was suffering from dementia. An IRA from the original trust was removed and distributed to one side of the family. Can the second trust be overturned since one of the parties had diminished capacity and was unable to know what she was signing? And can the parties who received distributions (possibly illegally) from the IRA be forced to return the funds to the trust?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

IF at the time the trust that you have written about one of the trustors to it was suffering from dementia and was not mentally capable of understanding the legal effects of what he or she was signing the trust whether it is a revocable or an irrevocable trust could be rescinded.

However, proving such lack of capacity is on the person seeking to overturn the trust. Assuming the trust is overturned, then those parties that received distributions would normally be required to return what they received back to the trust.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.