If a client owes me money for services rendered, what steps should I take to ensure payment?

I run a childcare service. We have a client that has been racking up quite a bill, with empty promises of payment. They have been attending our center for some time and we have made the mistake of giving her the benefit of the doubt. The bill is now at over $1500. She was supposed to pay her bill in full yesterday and has not followed through. Also, we have a signed handbook that discusses pay rates and late payments. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Business Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court for breach of contract / account stated.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount owed plus court costs.  Court costs would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.