What to do if a car pulled out of a driveway onto a 4 lane divided street, drove through 2 lanes of cars that were stopped at a red light and hit me?

I was in turning lane proceeding to make a left hand turn and they hit my rear tire passenger side with the front of their car. The police officer said it was their fault, our insurance company said it was their fault but they deny responsability so our insurance will not go after their insurance company so we have to pay our deductible. What can I do, small claims court?

Asked on January 23, 2013 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

The police report is controlling, and the other driver is clearly at fault in a rear-end collision.

If the case is not settled with the other driver's insurance carrier, you can sue the at-fault party for negligence.  Your damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs to your car including the deductible.  I assume that you were not injured since you did not mention it.  If you were injured, your personal injury claim is separate from your property damage claim.

Assuming that you were not injured, depending on the amount of property damage to your car, you may be able to file your lawsuit for negligence against the other driver in Small Claims Court.  Your damages should also include court costs which would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.