(1) if my wife plead guilty at court, will she be sentenced to jail? (2) Is it a serious case? (3) Please advise us on what to do. Thank you!

My wife went shopping at Nordstrom Rack. she took a “discount sticker” from a similar Jean (same brand and same price but different color) and applied it to the Jean that she liked. she paid for the Jean and got the discount. when she walked out of the store, a security guard was waiting for her out side and detained her. My wife doesn’t speak english but they did not allow her to call anybody. then, the police took her to the police station then release her at midnight with a date to appear to court. this happen in Los Angeles, California.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Any time an individual is accused of violating a criminal statute, it can be considered to be serious.  Since you do not say which criminal statute your wife is accused of violating, it is impossible to tell whether incarceration is a potential consequence of the crime that she has allegedly committed.  Moreover, to answer your specific question, whether she actually would be sentenced to incarceration as a result of pleading guilty would depend on the offer that the prosecutor makes in exchange for your wife's guilty plea.  Additionally, you should consider the fact that if your wife is not an American citizen, a criminal conviction could result in other penalties, such as deportation.  Since these are serious matters, you should consult and/or hire an attorney to appear with your wife in court prior to her next scheduled court date.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.