What are my legal options if my ex-girlfriend broke 2 windows and entered my home uninvited?

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options if my ex-girlfriend broke 2 windows and entered my home uninvited?

I was home and called the police, however I opted not to press charges. She has been harassing me and threatening my job since the incident. What is the crime? Can I press charges after the fact? Are there statutes of limitations?

Asked on July 25, 2015 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) Yes, you can press charges "after the fact"--you don't need to press them immediately. 

2) There is a statute of limitations, but it will be at least six months and more likely a year (depending on the precise offenses, out of the several this could be, that you seek to press charges on).

3) You could sue her for the cost to repair your windows.

4) You could also inquire into getting a protective order against her--this is something you should discuss with your local police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption