Working all and/or part of 7 days

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Working all and/or part of 7 days

My employer requires me to take time off during my Monday – Friday work days to cover for time when I have to work on Saturday or when I have to do company work (i.e. shop for supplies on Sunday). This means I leave early one or more days to cover for the time I am spending

Asked on September 19, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As long as you are not working over 40 hours a week or more than 8 hours in a work day, you are not entitled to overtime pay. Further, absent certain progfessions (i.e. airline pilots, truckers, certain medical personnel, etc.), there are no limits on just how many days in a row an employee can be scheduled to work. Finally, an employer can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. This includes how to set an employee's schedule. Accordingly, absent some form of legally actionable discrimintion or a breach of a union agreement or employment contract your treatment, while seemingly unfair, is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption