Will I go to jail if I don’t report an illegal human?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I go to jail if I don’t report an illegal human?

My roommate is married with six children. Two or three of them live with
their dad her husband in another state. She is pregnant with her seventh
child by a man who is in this country illegally. He lives here when she
doesn’t lock him out. They fight constantly and one of these daysnites a
neighbor is going to call the police. I don’t want to cause trouble for
them. Could this situation get me into trouble with the law?

Asked on February 14, 2018 under Immigration Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they were renting from you, you might have issues: it is illegal to "habor" someone who is violating the law. But you rent from them, so they, not you, control the home and you are not harboring (providing refuge to) them. So long as you are not harboring them, you should be ok: there is no general obligation to report others' violation of the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption