Where do I start to get the money I am owed from an employer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I start to get the money I am owed from an employer?

I live in MA and teach project management classes on contract and started working with a new company located in VA. I have taught 2 classes for them and they owe me about $6,000, including expenses. They have not paid me. I taught one class in VA and one in MA for them. How do I go about suing them for payment? Do I have to file in VA or can I do it in MA? The amount is over the small claims limit in VA but within the limit in MA. I just need to know where to start. I have contracts for both classes taught.

Asked on January 2, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the company for breach of contract / account stated. Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed. You can file your lawsuit in MA because a lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption