Whats the best next step regarding an estimate that was not honored?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whats the best next step regarding an estimate that was not honored?

I hired a contracted worker to do some work and they gave me a estimate $2500 -$3500. With nothing changing, she came back and said the estimate has doubled because the work is taking longer than she expected $5000-$8000. I gave her a retainer of $1200 which she just cashed. The project is not only at risk, she is also not on time per our agreement. We do have a signed agreement with both signatures and dates. At this point I want my $1200.00 for breach of contract.

Asked on September 2, 2014 under Business Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you have a signed contract which lists costs and/or dates of completion, and the contractor is in violation of one or both terms, you could sue for breach of contract. Depending on the exact circumstances, you may be entitled to the return of your deposit or to other compensation (called "damages"), such as payment for delays or costs you incurred due to the delays. While the circumstances affect the exact remedy you could get, as a rough guide, if the work is barely begun, you should be able to cancel the contract and get your deposit; if the work is well underway, you may be able to hold her to completing it for the amount indicated in the contract and/or get compensation for the inconvenience and cost caused by delays.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption