What steps so I need to take to get an inheritance left to my late husband?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What steps so I need to take to get an inheritance left to my late husband?

My mother-in-law passed away 2 years ago and left her house to her son, my husband, and her daughter. My husband passed away last year. The house has been occupied by my mother-in-law’s daughter and her husband since her death. I have nor, my husband before his death, not received any payment for the home. The house was to be.sold and split among the daughter and son. What, if anything, can I do.

Asked on October 23, 2018 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and your situation.  Was your Mother in Law's estate ever probated? It should have been and if not, that is the first step toward your resolution.  You should speak to an attorney.  There are a whole lot of issues and details here that you need to figure out as well.  While techincally the estate should have been maintaining the house since your mother in law's death, if there were no funds your husband and his sister would have to have split that.  However, if she is not paying you "rent" in lieu of maintining the house then that burden could be taken from your husband's obligation.  Do you see what I mean?  You can force the sale pursuant to that Will so long as you are appointed to act on behalf of your Husband's estate.  Get help.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption