What to do if my licensewas suspended for 2 years because I defaulted on agreement but through no fault of my own?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my licensewas suspended for 2 years because I defaulted on agreement but through no fault of my own?

I was involved in a car accident but I didn’t know the car I was driving was not insured. I was to blame and agreed to pay for damages in a monthly installments. However I lost my job and have been unemployed for the last 6 months. My job was displaced because of education budget cuts. I made over 60% of the payments and owe $850 out of $2100 in damages. I, in good faith, made this agreement and fully intend to pay out my debts. However, now they want to suspend my license for 2 years. This would greatly impede my chances of seeking and maintain employment. What can I do?

Asked on January 17, 2011 under Accident Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I have some questions here.  Were you sued and did you settle the matter in Court?  Is that the agreement that you came to?  This economy has hit everyone hard and the courts are aware of the problems facing the masses.  What you may need to do is to go back to court to make a motion to modify the agreement due to extreme circumstances - that you lost your job.  Ask the court to either extend the payments out in time for a smaller amount or to suspend your obligation to pay until such time as you have a new job. Ask them to enjoin the creditor from suspending your license (which by the way only the court or issuing agency can do).  Explain that taking your license will impeded your ability to pay the debt in full ever.  This may be your only shot.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption