What legal rights do I have when a criminal background check is done and reports incorrectly?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal rights do I have when a criminal background check is done and reports incorrectly?

I was accepted into a medical school and a background check was performed. The report came to me today and showed a criminal case that is sealed #1 and #2 it is not correct. It states I served probation for part of the case that was No Billed. What can I do about the company that reported this information?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way for you to resolve the situation with the background check of you that you believe has improper information is to first meet with representatives of the medical school that you are trying to get into and advise it of the wrong information.

Next, contact the company that did the improper reporting advising it of the errors and demanding that matters get rectified as soon as possible.

Retain a company that repairs people's credit and background information to see what help it can be for you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption