What is the maximum percentage that can be garnished of my income for back alimony?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the maximum percentage that can be garnished of my income for back alimony?

I need to know if my ex-wife wife can
Garner my social security benefits?

Asked on July 29, 2017 under Family Law, Alabama


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Typically, in AL, creditors of non-consumer debts cannot take more than 25% of your disposable earnings. Sisposable earnings is income left after legally required deductions from a person’s paycheck (e.g. FICA; unemployment contributions; state employee retirement contributions) are taken out. However, if you have more than 1 garnishment, the total amount that can be garnished is limited to 25%. Here is a link to asite that wil explain more: https://www.alabamalegalhelp.org/resource/wage-garnishments?ref=SQiQV

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption