What is thelaw governing the amount that a collection agency can deduct from your checking account via garnishment?

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 11, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is thelaw governing the amount that a collection agency can deduct from your checking account via garnishment?

Asked on September 11, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, Connecticut has a statute that states how much can be garnished from your wages should a judgement be entered against you. 

According to CGS §52-361a, the maximum amount which can tttt legally be withheld from a debtor's wages is the lessor of:

1. 25% of weekly disposable earnings; or

2. Amount by which the debtor's disposable earnings exceeds ttttt forty (40) times the higher of either

A. The current federal minimum hourly wage; or

B. The state's prevailing full minimum fair wage.

Sounds wierd?  Yes, it can be difficult to figure out. If I were you I would go and see a debt counseling specialist in your area to try and help you work things out.  You will need someone to assist you should the amount be incorrect or you need to request a hardship to reduce the amount. Things can become overwhelming and complicated.  Take a deep breath and good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption