What can I do when a tenant does not respond to information regarding rent due and the non-renewal of their lease?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do when a tenant does not respond to information regarding rent due and the non-renewal of their lease?

I’m not renewing a month to month lease and have given the tenant 30 days notice. She is not responding to any letters or emails. I have picked up eviction papers just in case. I just want this to be drama free and fair.

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are doing what you can and should--you have provided notice terminating the tenancy and you are prepared to file for eviction. That's all you can do if the tenant won't move out--evict her. You may wish to hire an attorney to do this for you--it will cost a little bit (typically $150 - $300; check cost before retaining the lawyer) but will help keep matters drama free and fair by having an expert with no emotional investment in the situation handle it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption