What can I do to take action against a person harassing me at work although I’ve reported it they have done nothing?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to take action against a person harassing me at work although I’ve reported it they have done nothing?

I work for a small business. This person has repeatedly harassed me for the past 6 months. The first incident occurred right after I got the job. The man grabbed my waist and pulled my body into his. He openly acknowledge ind the action when I immediately

confronted him about it. I told 2 different managers but no action was taken. Since then he has repeated made crude suggestions to me and I have made this clear to my manager. I was told something would be done but it hasn’t. He also insults me regularly.

Asked on February 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What you describe is sexual harassment. If the company does not take action to investigate and stop it, the company becomes liable for sexual harassment, too. You could contact the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to file a complaint (the EEOC enforces the anti-discrimination/harassment laws); you may be entitled to compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption