What can I do if I hired a moving company who has not delivered my items and it’s been past 30 days?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I hired a moving company who has not delivered my items and it’s been past 30 days?

The moving company I hired has not delivered my items. They became upset when I began to call for my items. They stopped accepting my calls and stated they are no longer going to take my calls. All correspondence has to be through email. I’ve emailed multiple times and still no response. I’m not sure what steps I need to take to get my belongings back.

Asked on August 3, 2018 under Business Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Sue them. You can and should sue them for breach of contract (failing to do what they contracted to do) and for conversion (keeping items entrusted to them but which are not theirs). 
You should also contact the police, file a police report, and look to press charges against them.
And contact your state Attorney General's office to file a complaint, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption