What are the rules for students who want to attend public elementary, middle or high school in the U.S.?”

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Congress enacted limitations on foreign students in F-1 immigration status who come to the U.S. to study in U.S. public elementary and secondary schools, effective November 30, 1996. These rules impact their attendance in certain public education programs, limit their attendance in public secondary schools (grades 9 through 12) to a maximum of 12 months; and require them to reimburse public secondary schools for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of education for the intended period of study.

The new provisions do not affect foreign students in any other immigration status, for example, J-1 exchange visitors, or dependents of foreign nationals in the United States on other non-immigrant visas. Likewise, the new provisions do not affect foreign students attending private schools or private training or language programs. F-1 students who wish to transfer from private schools or programs into public schools or programs must meet the new public school requirements.

F-1 students who were attending public schools or programs before the legislation took effect on November 30, 1996, can remain in school without penalty. However, if those students travel outside the United States, they have to meet the new requirements in order to return.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption