What are the options in a car accident, if it is not my fault but I am getting sued by another driver?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the options in a car accident, if it is not my fault but I am getting sued by another driver?

My father was driving my car and get in to an accident. After hiring a lawyer and working with insurance company it was determent that it was not his fault. Case was settled a he received some compensation for car repair and such. Then 6 months later after a settlement my farther received a notification from a civil court that he’s sued by a driver who causes an accident. She did not have collision coverage and want compensation to repair car. Does she have a chance to win a case.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since the other driver was at fault in the accident, she has no claim against you or your father for the damage to her car.  Also, since the case was settled, she has no valid claim because part of the settlement includes having the parties sign a release so that they can't file lawsuits over this same matter in the future.  It would be advisable for you to contact your insurance company and refer the lawsuit to your insurance company.  The insurance company will provide you and your father with an attorney at no cost.  The attorney will handle the matter and have the lawsuit dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption