What are my options when a harassing ex co-worker shows up at my new job?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options when a harassing ex co-worker shows up at my new job?

A former co-worker who has a history of harassing me at my current job is now working for the company I am going to interview with this week. Yesterday I was forced to call the authorities on him due to inappropriate calls and further harassment, some of it of a sexual nature. One of the older employees of this company is familiar with both of us, and came by asking me what happened, indicating that the ex coworker has been speaking with her regarding the subject. I was asked to interview first. I feel he will attempt to prevent me from getting hired. How can I prevent and/or identify this?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the person harassing you for invasion of privacy.  Invasion of privacy is a serious and unreasonable interference with your right to be left alone.  Your lawsuit for invasion of privacy should also include a separate cause of action (claim) for intentional infliction of emotional distress.  Intentional infliction of emotional distress is an extreme and outrageous act intended to cause and which does cause you emotional distress.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption