Will I get alimony and child support?

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I get alimony and child support?

My husband and I have been married for 11 years. I just recently caught him cheating on me; he has been having an affair for 8 months now. He never wanted me to work; he wanted me to stay at home with our 4 kids (ages 15, 10, 9 and 3). I recently started subbing at the kid’s school just to bring in extra spending money. Will he have to pay me alimony + child support?

Asked on October 9, 2011 under Family Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  The state of Alabama allows either party to a marriage to ask for and receive spousal support based upon a review of various factors should the parties not agree to an amount.  Here is the statute:

The judge, at his or her discretion will consider; the value of each spouse’s assets as well as their families and up to one half of any pension, 401k or retirement benefits as long as the length of the marriage was 10 years or more. Any marital misconduct by either spouse may be considered in determining the appropriate support amount. Any property acquired prior to the marriage or by inheritance or gift may not be considered in determining the support amount. (Code of Alabama - Title 30 - Chapters: 2-51, 2-52, and 2-55). 

Please speak with an attorney in your aea on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption