If we just recently found out my late father had an inheritance that was stolen by my late uncle, what can we do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we just recently found out my late father had an inheritance that was stolen by my late uncle, what can we do?

My aunt died in approximately 2004, she left an inheritance for my father. My father had no idea and my uncle stole it and claimed he did it because he didn’t want my mother to have any parts of it. My uncle died in 2009, and my father died in 2011. I am just finding out about what has happened. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on July 4, 2018 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) You have no grounds to bring a legal action based on what your *father* should have received: only he could have brought a legal challenge. You have no "standing" or legal right to assert his claim. One person cannot assert another person's, even a family member's, claim for them.
2) It is too late, 7 years after your father died and 14 years after he would allegedly have inherited, to bring a legal action; a legal action challenging an inheritance must be brought before the estate is fully probated and wrapped up.
3) Since your uncle died 11 years ago, it's also too late to take action against him, and his own heirs are not liable for anything he may have done.
Therefore, for a number of reasons, you cannot do anything about this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption