If we moved out of our house and told the utility company to turn off the electric but it failed to and kept billing us, are we responsble for the bill?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If we moved out of our house and told the utility company to turn off the electric but it failed to and kept billing us, are we responsble for the bill?

We sold our house and they kapt billing us.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should not be responsible for the bill if you properly closed your account. The most important thing to do is to 1) check all your bills, statements, agreements, etc. with or from the utility--do they specify how to close an account and, if so, did you provide the proper notice or documentation? and 2) check to see what evidence you have of having closed the account properly (e.g. copies of a letter; proof of delivery; etc.).

Legally, as stated, if you closed the account, from and after that point, you should not be reponsible for any bills. If there was a specific method or process for closing the account, though, you would have had to have done it in accordance with that process; if you failed to follow the right procedure, the utility would likely be entitled to keep the electricity on and in your name until you do.

Practically, even if you acted correctly, if you can't prove that, you would have a hard time prevailing.

Assuming you did properly close your account and feel you can prove that, first provide copies of the documentation to the utility, to see if you can't get them to resolve the matter. If they will not, you then have two choices: either to simply not pay, wait to see if they take legal action, then defend yourself on the basis of the proof that you closed the account; or to affirmatively bring a legal action of your own seeking a "declaratory jugment" (court determination) that you do not owe the  money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption