What is my recourse regarding an improperly installed window?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse regarding an improperly installed window?

We have a leak in a second floor window. I have had several people look at it and most have said the wrap is probably not installed correctly and they would have to take the window out and remove bricks, etc. My insurance is not paying for it as they say it is faulty build. Is the builder still responsible for fixing it? What is the statute of limitations for a builder?

Asked on December 15, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If it was not built in a "workmanlike" fashion, there may have been a breach of the implied warranty of habitability and workmanship, and you could sue for the cost to repair for up to 6 years. But if the work was essentially done in a workmanlike fashion, but was still somewhat negligent (careless), you only have 2 years to sue. In your case, if the builder put in everything the window should have had, but some of the work was a little sloppy, it's probably basic negligence and it's 2 years to sue; if they ommitted to do something which any builder should know to do (e.g. didn't put in any home wrap or didn't extend everywhere it should go), that would be a 6 year period to sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption