What to do if we got full cutody of my daughter 2 years ago when her mother was facing incarceration and now her mother is trying to make contact?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if we got full cutody of my daughter 2 years ago when her mother was facing incarceration and now her mother is trying to make contact?

Since she was not granted parenting time, is she allowed to try to make contact with my daughter now that she is out on parole?

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, West Virginia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The custody orders that gave you full custody of your daughter two years ago will control what you have to do. 

If the orders strip her completely of any visitation rights, then you do not have to allow her access. 

If the orders say that she is to have "reasonable access" at your discretion (and no set time frames), then you need to arrange for some type of access to avoid an enforcement action.  Considering that the child probably doesn't know her, you would be reasonable in setting up supervised visitations in order to help reintroduce your daughter to her mother. 

If the orders have standardized periods of visitations (like every other Saturday), then you are required to let her have the child on those scheduled visitation days.

If your order does require either "reasonable" or standardized visits, and she is demanding to enforce those rights, you need to comply with the order or.....if you are concerned about the effect on your daughter of sudden reintegration, you can petition the court to modify the visitation orders.  Depending on how you feel, you can either ask for complete termination of her rights, limited visits, or supervised visits until she reaches a certain age.  Courts tend to be reluctant to terminate rights.  But is she has gone an extended period of time without making any contact (even a simple letter from prison) and without providing any type of support (especially now that she's on parole), you would have a better position to argue for termination.  If your orders don't give her visitation rights, you do not need to worry about a modification.

As far as contact by mother....Her mother can try to make contact as long as the custody order says that she can't. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption