Washington Probate: The Basics

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Probate law deals with the administration and distribution of the personal assets and estate of an individual after death. If you are legal heir to the estate of a recently deceased Washington resident, Washington probate court is an option available to you to assist in the efficient transfer of property. At the same time, many heirs want to avoid probate court altogether, and in most cases, it is possible to do so in Washington.

Bypassing Washington Probate

Washington law does not require probate proceedings after the death of a property holder. Probate in Washington is a legal option available to those who survived the decedent and who consider themselves heirs or beneficiaries to the decedent’s estate. If the decedent died with any real property titled in his or her name, or with personal property in excess of $100,000, then probate will likely prove useful. While probate court is merely an option, Washington state law does require that the will (if there is one) be filed with the Clerk’s Office of the Superior Court within 40 days of death.

If the decedent’s probate assets consist only of personal property (not real property) and are valued at less than $100,000, the titles to this property can transfer to the heir without the use of probate. This is done by filing an affidavit in Washington Superior Court which may be called, depending on the jurisdiction, a Personal Property Affidavit, Small Estate Affidavit, or Personal Property Transfer Affidavit.

If there is no real property in the estate, and the estate’s value is less than $100,000, this affidavit may be used to deal with all of the decedent’s probate assets (non-probate assets are not factored in to the $100,000 calculation; neither is any surviving spouse’s one-half interest in their community property). To use this affidavit, the decedent’s debts must all be accounted for, the decedent must have been a Washington resident, he or she must have died solvent, and the affidavit must only be used by someone who is a “successor” of the decedent.

Additional Washington Probate Resources

King County Law Library Washington Probate Research Guide

Washington State Attorney General: Dealing with Death

Also, see our article on Washington Probate Procedure.

Adams County Superior Court

Asotin County Superior Court

Benton County Superior Court

Chelan County Superior Court

Clallam County Superior Court

Clark County Superior Court

Cowlitz County Superior Court

Douglas County Superior Court

Ferry County Superior Court

Franklin County Superior Court

Grays Harbor County Superior Court

Island County Superior Court

Jefferson County Superior Court

King County Superior Court

Kitsap County Superior Court

Kittitas County Superior Court

Klickitat County Superior Court

Lincoln County Superior Court

Mason County Superior Court

Okanogan County Superior Court

Pacific County Superior Court

Pend Oreille County Superior Court

Pierce County Superior Court

San Juan County Superior Court

Skagit County Superior Court

Snohomish County Superior Court

Spokane County Superior Court

Thurston County Superior Court

Wahkiakum County Superior Court

Walla Walla County Superior Court

Whatcom County Superior Court

Whitman County Superior Court

Yakima County Superior Court

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption