UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


My wife was at a Walmart about two months ago and was looking at toys. She
moved one toy on a shelf and another one fell and hit her big toe. Her toenail had
since turned black and is now beginning to come off. This has been painful.
Should we speak to a lawyer?

Asked on November 12, 2017 under Personal Injury, New Hampshire


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The incident should have been reported to the store. Your wife should notify the store's insurance carrier in writing that she will be filing a personal injury claim.
When she completes her medical treatment and is released by the doctor, she should obtain her medical bills, medical reports, and if applicable documentation of wage loss
The personal injury claim filed with the store's insurance carrier should include those items. Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement. The medical reports document the injury and are used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills. Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.
If the case is settled with the store's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If your wife is dissatisfied with settlement offers from the store's insurance carrier, she should reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit against the store based on premises liability.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit against the store must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your wife will lose her rights in the matter forever.
It is advisable to speak with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption