Unable to pay the rent

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Unable to pay the rent

Hello there,

I’m having a difficult and Im not able to pay my rent this month June. I just
got the three days notice. I would like to know what my options are. I dont have
the money to pay now but I can move out in three days. My lease ends on 8/31 so
there are three months left. Would I be responsible for that too if I move out?
My deposit is 500 which is less than half of the rent. Please help me with that
and let me know what to do. I would really appreciate it. Im not able to think
anymore. Thank you

Asked on June 5, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, even if you move out within 3 days or are evicted, you will still be liable for the remaining three months of rent, plus any rent not paid to date. You landlord may apply the security deposit against the rent, then sue you for any amounts not covered by (i.e. in excess of) the deposit. You could try to negotiate with him, to not pay if you move out volunarily or to pay less; if he agrees (his agreement is voluntary), get the agreement in writing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption