Title and deed in my fathers name.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Title and deed in my fathers name.

I purchased the property with the agreement from my father that after my divorce property would be put in my name. I have been financially responsible for the property. Taxes, insurance and even when 4 lots were sold for housing. My father profited and still profits from the property, which I have been financially responsible He isn’t going to put deed/title in my name. I kept every receipt and then some saying that he would put land in my name. I have a horse farm and that land is next door. Mediation I thought would be helpful. He’s challenging.

Asked on October 23, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Mediation may help, but mediation is voluntary: people have to agree to the mediation. The only way to compel him to transfer the property to you would be to sue him in country court for "specific performance": that is, to enforce the terms of the agreement. If you can show that you did your part of the agreement (i.e. paid him whatever was supposed to be paid), the court can order him to do his part and transfer the property to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption